P.H. Paseo Las Bóvedas (1998-1999)
The plans for this project were drawn up in 1997 by the Spanish architect, Javier Erroz, who has designed several large projects, including buildings, in Panama City.
The original properties were purchased from Graciela and Delia Diez Pacheco, heirs to the Pacheco family fortune, who owned the properties in the 19th century. This building had a wonderful bridge which connected the properties from within, and a rooftop-terrace with one of the best sea views, which has been wonderfully incorporated into the newly-renovated building.
This project consisted of the rehabilitation of three buildings connected by a central courtyard which were then joined to create a building comprising 13 apartments, the majority of which were one-bedroom lofts. Three commercial units were built on the ground floor.
P.H. University Club (1999-2000)
The site on which the building stands also belonged to the Pacheco family who sold it to the University Club. Americans and Panamanian businessmen were the principal members of this reading club that also hosted cultural and social events.
The building was pucharsed in 1998 by the architect Edward Mcgrath who drew up the plans for six apartment and two commercial units with wonderful views to Santo Domingo Beach.
P.H. La Ronda (1999-2000)
The property is a modernised, colonial-style two-storey stonework building that dates back to the 19th Century. We call it "P.H. La Ronda" as it is located next to a section of Paseo Esteban Huertas or Paseo Las Bóvedas wich was formerly known as "La Ronda". It was here that hte city´s unmarried young men and women used to walk separately, an important social ritual at that time.
The building plan is comprised of a lovely garden apartment on the ground floor with double-height ceilings and stone walls. A large, split-level apartment was built on the first floor with sea views over Paseo Esteban Huertas.
P.H. Callejón del Chicheme (2001-2002)
This house dates back to the Colonial times when the street was called San Miguel Street and referred to Locally as "Callejón del Chicheme". Later on halfway through the 17th Century, the street was renamed Carrera de Acevedo Gómez and finally, Four Stree. By the middle of the 18th Century, nearly half of the buildings in the block had disappeared after a fire that engulfed San Felipe in 1737, Though in ruins, these houses stood tall and original parts of their structure remained.
This project comprised of five apartments and one commercial unit and retained several significant elements of its original design that date back to the colonial era. This includes the courtyard, its high stone wall and a splendid arch wich is over 300 years old.
P.H. Casa Méndez (2002-2003)
The P.H. Casa Méndez building project has been developed into a wonderful two-storey building dating from the 19th Century. The property has a wide-frontage and sits on a large plot of land with a light-filled inner courtyard.
The development was made up of six apartments and two commercial units. The original courtyard was moved to the rear of the building to produce apartments overlooking the street as well as the courtyard
P.H. Casa Remón (2003-2004)
According to historical data, the current building may have been built in the late 19th century or early 20th century. Our research of the property’s deeds showed that by 1915, the property belonged to the heirs of Nicolás Remón and the street was called “Carrera de Nariño”. The property was subdivided in 1920 and thereafter inherited by Juana Arias, widow of Remón, and María O. Remón de Chiari, and it remained in their hands until the 1930’s.
The building design is comprised of three apartments and one commercial unit. The entire building was sold while under renovation to International Living, an American company which for over 30 years has advised foreigners on places suitable for retirement. They have set up a regional office in Casa Remón to promote Panama to other countries.
P.H. Calle de las Monjas (2004-2005)
This property dates back to the 17th Century and was completely destroyed by a fire in 1756. During the 19th Century, the entire block was then dividedinto two plots. One was a vacant lot and the other currently houses P.H. Calle de las Monjas. Later on, Calle de San Antonio was renamed Calle de las Monjas and today it´s called Avenida Central.
The property was renovated at the beginning of the 20th century, and its elaborate façade still exists today, together with many other details such as the small cherubs which adorn the balconies on the first floor and the small but lovely wrought iron balconies situated above every door span on the second floor.
The design is comprises of eight apartments and one commercial unit. The apartments were all designed to overlook the original inner courtyard, which divides the building into two separate sections. The architect was able to connect both sections using walkways which have been incorporated into the building and seamlessly connect the ancient walls flanking the inner courtyard.
P.H. La Legación (2005-2006)
We estimated that this building was constructed in the 1870s based on information we have retried as well as the property´s door spansand skylights. This presitiousspace is streeped in history. In 1883, the achitect Jules Dingler and Chief Engineer the Compagnie Universelle du Canal Interoceánique move into the building. Once the US took over the construction of the inter-ocean canal, the building continued to be used as the residence of the chief engineer. John Wallace, the first administrator of the American Canal company also lived there at the beginning of the 20th Century. Later on, it was the first headquarters of the American Embassy or "Legation" in Panama.
The building project comprised of eight apartments and one commercial unit which currently houses the offices of CISF.
P.H. Cuatro Casas (2006-2009)
This project included the restoration of four buildings located between Third and Fourth Streets which are all adjoining properties and have been named Casa Catalina, Casa Erhman, Casa Ardila and Casa De la Torre, and together, P.H. Cuatro Casas.
Casa Catalina was build in a modern colonial style and dates back to the 19th Century. One of its owners was Nicanor de Obarrio, one of the founding fathers of the Republic of Panama following the country´s independence from colombia. Casa Ehrmanwas build in a neo-classical style in the early20th Century. The original owner was Natalio Ehrman. Casa Ardila is located next door, with is French-style balconies which were build after the property was renovated in 1928 or thereabout. The gingerbread columns were typical features of the period, found om French colonies throughout the Caribbean. The building project is comprised of 12 apartments and seven commercial units.
Casa Arango (2007-2008)
Located on the iconic Tenth Street, this building dates back to the mid-19th Century according to our historical data. It was owned by several members of the Arango Family over several decades. When CISF purchased the property, the façade and the building itself were almost entirely derelict, therefore a new façcade had to be completely rebuilt based on information obtained about its original elevation.
The property is a single-family residence. Its interior has been given a contemporary design, making the most of the ceiling height to create a mezzanine, and skylights have been installed towards the rear of the building in addition to a mansard roof along the front of the building.
Casa Obispo (2007-2008)
The plot of land on which Casa Obispo was built was originally owned by Ramón Arias Feraud and Don Manuel Amador Guerrero, both leaders of our independence movement, the latter subsequently becoming the first President of the Republic of Panama. The property was built and sold in 1884 by Amador Guerrero to Don José Telésforo Paúl, the celebrated Colombian Jesuit priest appointed Bishop of the Diocese of the Isthmus of Panama by Pope Pius IX.
P.H. La Merced (2007-2009)
The property is next to the La Merced Church and was once part of the La Merced Convent along with Casa Garay. Inside, one may enjoy views of stone arcades which are presumed to have been part of the Convent as well as traces of the Colonial-era well, elements which can now be found i the inner courtyard.
P.H. Casa Garay (2010-2012)
This building dates back to the city´s earliest days of the colonial era (the 17th Century) and it was once part of the La Merced Convent. The Archive of the Indies shows that the basement of the property had entrances to tunnels connecting it to the cathedral, although we have been unable to find concrete evidence of this. In 1850, this property and others belonging to the Church were expropriated by the state. In 1880 or thereabout, the building as it currently stands was build and its first registered owner was Mercedes Díaz de Garay, wife of the celebrated painter, Epifanio Garay y Caicedo. The property was subsequently inherited by his children, Don Narciso Garay Díaz, a celebrate literary, musical and diplomatic figure, and Doña Nicole Garay, the reowned educator.
The building project is comprised of nine apartments and was awarded the SPIA prize (Panamanian association of Engineers and Architects) in 2012, winning under the category of "Best Restoration".
P.H. Casa Neuman (2012-2014)
These buildings date back to the last two decades of the 19th Century and three of the four properties that make up this project belonged to the family of Don August Wilhelm Neuman who was married to Ana Catharina Van der Hans de Neuman. In the early 20th Century, one of the properties belonged to Don Ernesto De La Guardia, a highly respected businessman and father of one of our ex-Presidents, Don Ernesto De La Guardia Jr. (1956-1960).
This building project consists of 13 apartments and five commercial units. The building were connected internally by an original, large courtyard. Therein, we found a well dating back to Colonial times, which we were able to rescue.